First ideas

Allow me to first introduce myself. I'm a happily married programmer working somewhere in Eastern Europe, and I'm X years old. My name is Val.

One of my hobbies happens to be just thinking up of stuff. It's something I do all the time, and I'm sure some others do too. It's just possible that some of these ideas can actually be useful to someone else.

Let's warm up
1) An idea I had today was about advertising. What if a major chat provider allowed to put your AdSense ads in the chat window for the people you chat with? I think a lot of online marketers out there would drool over this possibility, and the provider such as ICQ would draw more attention.

2) Something related to pixel advertising is the possibility to post the picture of a loved one on a million-dollar grid. This idea would probably require more advertising than you'd make from such a site, but an idea is an idea. A major push would be some celebrity using the site, and that fact can draw a lot of attention.

3) Pen-pencil: similar to those pens that have slide buttons for different ink colors, I can imagine a pen with a pencil slider. Would be useful for those who carry both.

More ideas to come soon. Everyone is welcome to post theirs!

2 comments:

north america said...

Val

I think youre off to a great start here.

One thing that I have learned is whenever possible, do some testing to see what the public we respond to.

The other thing I have learned is that you just can't predict what people will respond to.

A year ago I started commercial-fishing.org.

I tried displaying some amazon affilate ads for things like marine electronics, etc.

I got no response.

Finally I added some ads for commercial fishing-related books and we have had a really good response from those.

My point is we may not have a good idea every time, but if we can push out enough ideas, one might succeed.

I will try and re-visit and see what new ideas you and your readers post.

ValD said...

Hi John,

Something I almost always miss to do when I have some idea I think is good, is market research.

It helps quite a bit to search for related forums and directly ask people about what you plan to offer and if they might actually use your proposed service. If you get a response, you should know right away if your idea is great, so so, or a bad one.